Calling all Cork-based Software Companies

For the last few months, as part of a combined initiative from Steps to Engineering and ICT Ireland’s ICT Champions Programme, I’ve been visiting a small number of secondary schools around [tag]Cork[/tag], describing to [tag]Transition Year[/tag] students what it’s like to work as a software engineer.

Having heard about dwindling numbers of students in 3rd level [tag]science[/tag] and [tag]engineering[/tag] courses, and having read about the current societal trend of devaluing the importance of scientic thinking, I expected the worst. I was concerned that my audience would be totally uninterested in what I had to say. I was pleasantly surprised.

I was listened to attentively and many questions were posed after each talk. A number of TY students have approached me looking for a work experience placement in DSI, and while we have been able to say yes to many, there are still a number of good, keen students out there still looking for a place. If you think your company could help out in this matter, please contact me here (blawlor at decaresystems.ie) or add a comment to this blog entry.

Remember that it is in our own best interests as an industry to encourage students with an interest in IT. We’ll be depending on their skills and enthusiasm over the coming years.

Thanks in advance.

– brendan lawlor –

1. #1 by Donagh Kiernan on January 17, 2007 - 12:30 pm

Good stuff Brendan,

IT@Cork is currently conducting a survey in order to assist in high-lighting the industry need and growth to second level.

Parents, teachers, career guidance counsellors and students need to be educated on what is happening in the IT industry.

There seems to be many different organisations working to address this from different angles.

How do we get a more coordinated plan with colleges, industry and organisations working together?

It’s worth IT@Cork reviewing what ICT Ireland has planned and working with them, if appropriate.

On providing work experience to Transition Year students, Campbell Informatics are interested

Donagh

2. #2 by Brendan Lawlor on January 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm

Thanks Donagh,
    I’ll contact you directly with the details. Much appreciated.

All other offers are welcome folks: there are three TY students in question.

3. #3 by Conor O'Neill on January 17, 2007 - 2:48 pm

Hmm, I signed up to do all the schools in Bandon that showed interest (no girl’s schools did) and I have yet to hear back 6 months later from those schools.

4. #4 by Brendan Lawlor on January 17, 2007 - 3:04 pm

Howya Conor,
    I signed up for 2 local schools. In one case they contacted me, and in the other I contacted them. Were you given the contact details by Steps to Engineering?

5. #5 by Conor O'Neill on January 18, 2007 - 9:41 am

Nah, they said that my details had been given to the schools and they would contact me when they wanted me. One of them is 50 yards from my house!

6. #6 by Bernie Goldbach on February 15, 2007 - 9:40 am

Would you mind sharing your experience in a seminar run during the June 2007 Educamp Ireland?

7. #7 by Brendan Lawlor on February 15, 2007 - 11:14 am

Sound like an interesting idea Bernie. I’ll contact you directly, after I look at the educamp site.

8. #8 by Administrator on February 15, 2007 - 11:30 am

The educamp is a good idea – but maybe at the wrong side of the election?