Web 2.0: O’Reilly Sends in the Laywers

I have it on good authority that it@Cork who are organizing the upcoming [Tag]Web 2.0[/Tag](sm) Conference had a lengthy communication from O’Reilly’s New York lawyers today. Apparently [Tag]O’Reilly[/Tag] have an impending application for registration of web 2.0 as a service mark and it@Cork’s use of it violates their exclusive rights.

Let me say it again – the Emperor has no clothes on. This is proof, if more proof were needed, that this whole so-called movement is nothing more than an exercise in self-interest, and that the real value of Web 2.0(sm) is to those who own it, and not to those who are being exhorted to believe in it.

– brendan lawlor –

1. #1 by Larkin Cunningham on May 26, 2006 - 8:19 am

I was sceptical until I saw the letter. This ‘Medialive’ crowd have bought up some of the domains. Laughably they have bought the web20.org domain as well. What do we bet they fill that site with links to O’Reilly books and O’Reilly conferences.

I think we will see the death of Web 2.0(tm) now. The open source community will kill it. I feel a blog post of my own coming on…..

2. #2 by Brendan Lawlor on May 26, 2006 - 8:33 am

O’Reilly and Co, realising the mask has slipped, have backed off – for now.

3. #3 by Larkin Cunningham on May 26, 2006 - 8:52 am

Too late I think. The damage is done. It could be the end of Web 2.0(sm?) as we know it.

4. #4 by jmurphy on May 26, 2006 - 8:57 am

I agree with Larkin and I don’t think the have really backed off. The language is as strong as ever. Those blinded by this Web 2.nothing hype now surely see what the purpose behind this really is.

Money.

5. #5 by Yagiz Erkan on May 26, 2006 - 9:28 am

O’Reilly’s attempt to trademark Whatchimacallit 2.0 shows clearly that this whole thing has been ridiculous from the start. I’m not going to say “We told you so!” Do our industry need stereotype managers drooling with the mention of a new acronym? Probably yes. They spend blindly and they are good customers but for heaven’s sake, at least give them something in exchange! Something tangible! Not some name that someone came up with during toilet break!

As the famous venture-capitalist Guy Kawasaki says “When people say to me it’s a Web 2.0 application, I want to puke.”

6. #6 by Derek Lawless on May 26, 2006 - 10:52 am

Go to the head of the class Brendan.

This whole web 2.0* fantasy makes web 1.0** seem like it was a good idea.

* flikr i.e. no chance of ever making money
    ** pets.com i.e. no chance of ever making money

7. #7 by Brendan Lawlor on May 26, 2006 - 4:13 pm

Thanks Derek,
    I was beginning to think we were along in our opinions of Web 2.0, but the whole O’Reilly vs it@cork story has produced a lot of reaction out there hoping that this is the end of the Meaningless Moniker(sm).

See for example many comments attached to the O’Reilly and CMP Exercise Trademark on ‘Web 2.0’ slashdot article.

8. #8 by Yagiz Erkan on May 26, 2006 - 4:19 pm

Well, that is a responsive blogosphere… Impressive… In less than 10 hours, look what kind of impact this caused!

After tens of individual blogs, first it appeared on ZDNet:

Then on CNet:

And now it’s slashdotted:

9. #9 by Donagh Kiernan on May 26, 2006 - 10:09 pm

So now, who’s going to the IT@Cork Web 2.0 event.

It’s likely to be a little livlier now.

do register at http://www.itcork.ie

This hasn’t changed what Web 2.0 means. So what does it mean?

10. #10 by John Murphy on May 26, 2006 - 10:35 pm

Now that the slogan has been banished (banned) we can have a healthy debate!

11. #11 by Brendan Lawlor on May 27, 2006 - 3:45 pm

Yep – and my first question will be “So folks, what is it we are here to talk about?”

12. #12 by Larkin Cunningham on May 29, 2006 - 9:42 am

Donagh…
    After all the fuss and mudslinging with regard to Web 2.0, I don’t see how I cannot attend 🙂

Should be some interesting debate. Maybe CNN will send their war correspondents 🙂

13. #13 by Donagh Kiernan on May 29, 2006 - 10:21 am

No mud on my hands Larkin

looking forward to a fruitful discussion on the day..

just in case you need directions, visit http://www.itcork.ie

;> Donagh

14. #14 by amurphy on June 12, 2006 - 10:47 am

So what happened on the day? (Unfortunately I had to miss it.)

Any DSI folks get bounced? 😉

15. #15 by amurphy on June 12, 2006 - 10:48 am

So what happened on the day – any DSI folks get bounced? 😉

16. #16 by Brendan Lawlor on June 12, 2006 - 10:55 am

Unfortunately I missed it too. All hands on deck last week. No time for conferences. Donagh?